For example, physical dependence occurs when the body is reliant on the chemical interactions caused by a drug or substance. In this case, medical support may be required to help wean the individual off the drug. However, in this state, a person can be physically dependent on the medication, but not addicted. Stigma often surrounds the use of terms such as addiction, dependence and substance abuse. In recent years, related medical terminology has been changed and clarified. Dependence is defined as a psychological and physical reliance on a substance and losing control of substance abuse.
Treatment programs are often based on different theories and philosophies. So, it’s important to consult a doctor to find the best program for your needs. Addiction addiction vs dependence treatment is the best way to get help and overcome dependency or addiction. The International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) also recognizes gaming disorder.
So, I keep looking for safer, healthier, alternative pain management. Can I alter my daily relief for the betterment of forever relief. It is possible to be physically addicted not to have a brain disease. Addiction and dependence are complex issues that are often misunderstood and stigmatized. Challenging misconceptions and promoting empathy, understanding, and support are crucial steps towards addressing these challenges.
- One particular area of misinformation concerns how the use of language is employed when describing topics related to addiction.
- I haven’t experienced any negative side effects in the tapering off process, so I don’t think that it could be said that I was addicted to it.
- If you are facing a medical emergency or considering suicide or self harm, please call 911 immediately.
- When someone is dependent, their body adapts to a drug and requires more of it to achieve the same effect.
- These facilities usually provide 24-hour medical support and are often led by a team of counselors, clinicians, and doctors.
- Most commonly, the cases are related to marijuana and prescription pain relievers.
That’s why we have a comprehensive set of treatment providers and don’t charge for inclusion. We do not and have never accepted fees for referring someone https://ecosoberhouse.com/ to a particular center. Providers who advertise with us must be verified by our Research Team and we clearly mark their status as advertisers.
Dependence vs. Addiction: How to Tell the Difference
Substance use disorder, on the other hand, is used in clinical and diagnostic settings to refer to “addiction.” The condition also has varying levels of severity and is categorized as mild, moderate, or severe. A substance use disorder, or SUD, is a mental health disorder that develops after prolonged substance abuse. It changes how the brain functions and impairs how a person behaves as a result.